December 11, 2012
November 20, 2012
............and I wish I had taken a picture on those occasions to include here!
Here's a couple of visitors over the last few weeks:
James McInerney & Louise Smithers of AMRM
- James is the builder behind the seminal "Lambing Flat" layout, and Louise is his very patient Production Assistant for his AMRM work. Here they are during a short break during a fairly intense photo session for an upcoming "In Progress" article on Glenburn in AMRM.
Brett Whelan and family (and one of my children!).
- Brett works mostly in Proto48 and is one of the finest modellers I know. Pretty much a 100% scratchbuilder, the quality and precision of Brett's work is literally astounding. Ian Weickhardt put us in touch when he realised we were modelling very similar fields, albeit in different scales. People who model this aspect of the VR are pretty thin on the ground, so it was great to spend some time with him and his family while they were passing through Sydney recently.
In early December Peter Ennis and Iain Stuart, both long time VR modellers, dropped over for a general cud-chew on matters VR, and to share some of our modelling. Given we're all many kilometres from people of like interest, this was a rare and enjoyable treat. Here's the three of us:
October 31, 2012
September 5, 2012
July 4, 2012
June 8, 2012
For those who keep an eye on "Glenburn's" rolling stock developments you will know I have spent a fair bit of my recent modelling time converting a RTR loco into a VR V Class. That project having come to a temporary stop while I await some parts, I commenced the next section of scenic work, the long cutting on the Up side of Faith St. This cutting is based on the first section of the prototype cutting that starts just beyond the Up end of Hawthorn Station and continues toward the Yarra crossing. This was a favourite area when I lived in Melbourne. I had stockpiled white polystyrene for a while for this kind of work but culled it a few months ago as I had too much......of course, on arriving at this point found I had culled just too much.......So, I looked into whether I would use cardboard formers for the cutting as can be seen above. Not thrilled with this approach, I decided to use some Noch foam walling that I had spare and cut and bent it to shape then applied a thin cover of polyfilla. This method was much simpler and cleaner than I expected and I will use it again. Much more work to go here as you can see, but it's a nice change to be doing something as rough and robust as this after the recent precision required for the V.
For some time I have also been meaning to give the layout its' first decent clean, it not having been dusted or vacuumed, nor the track cleaned for the last three and a half years. So for the first time in the layout's history all stock has been removed as can be seen above and the cars etc. removed also for a good Winter Spring clean. The list is the things I know need fixing, which grows as one moves around knocking bits off while cleaning, unfortunate friendly fire! Glenburn Rd hasn't been this quiet before. I'll give the rolling stock the once over also before restoring it all back to an operating semblance of the interwar years.
May 13, 2012
April 18, 2012
I have struggled for a bit getting used to modifying my PSM E Class as required to backdate it to the interwar period. The modification work isn’t difficult, the issue has been the gravitas of changing a pristine, excellent and rare model (100 produced). My solution was to find a second equivalent condition PSM E to provide an “insurance” while I make the changes to the first.
I have had feelers out for some time and have recently been lucky enough to find and acquire a second PSM E. Like the first it has excellent provenance being purchased from the original owner. Also like the first, it is in mint condition and actually appears to possibly never have been run, or perhaps even taken out of the box.
Once the conversion of the first E is complete, I will likely sell it. As such I am not using it and have test run it only to make sure it works – am happy to reports it runs as sweetly as the first.
Given the rarity of the circumstance, I thought it appropriate to set up the two for a photo session on “Glenburn” before I put it away for storage, two model E’s under wires is just something we’re unlikely to see too often it seems. The 2nd (new) E doesn’t have couplings so it is posed in the shafts.
March 22, 2012
It occured to me recently that very few people have actually seen my layout, so here's some proof it actually runs! :^ )
I have put togther a brief film of the layout as it is now, with some comments on the thinking behind it:
- This is quite large (approx. 60MB) so please don't click if that's a problem.
- It will seem more cohesive with the sound on.
February 25, 2012
(Picture: Salvation Army Heritage Centre)
Below I have included some pictures during the build showing simple construction of a sheet brick and card base with layered styrene and card for detailing. Windows are all from Tichy, modified in some cases to fit the specifics of the building.
January 2, 2012
Holiday break means some time for running, below are a couple of pictures of some of the workings.
As people leave for holidays and work numbers reduce, the "off peak" period extends, and the VR ever watchful of costs during this time reduces train sizes accordingly. This then becomes a common sight, two car suburban units form both Up and Dn services:
Ah, the elegance of an interwar country passenger train! D1 heads No. 31a with consist XYZ+G+B+C consist on the Dn through Glenburn..............
1100 rolls No. 25a (Dn suburban goods) into Lilydale yard at the end of it's outward journey from Melbourne. Given operational requirements (read my big hand with an coupling/uncoupling tool....), I probably won't ever wire the yard, perhaps just the yard approaches, so I'll keep imagining the wires.